- Prep time:10 minutes
- Cooking time:20 minutes
- Recipe serves:12 mini muffin size portions of fudge
This fudge is a darling thing. It is gluten free, refined sugar free and this little wonder is inspired by the classic Punjabi desert (Gajar Halwa) but made fiercely healthy with six simple and nourishing ingredients, grated organic carrots, homemade ghee, coconut milk, crushed cardamom, raw honey and lemon zest, atoped with pistachios and golden raisins. It's delicately fragrant and sweet but you can still taste the delicious carrots....magical enchantress from the mother land - Namaste :)
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2½ cups grated organic carrots
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of freshly ground cardamom pods into a powder
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (to taste)
- Zest of a lemon and (squeeze of lemon juice for brightness to the fudge)
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt (optional)
- golden raisins, optional for garnish
- pistachios, optional for garnish
- To make your own ghee at home, gently melt a 500g block of grassfed butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. After melting, the butter will separate into layers. Let cool slightly for 2-3 minutes and then slowly pour through a sieve or wire mesh strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth, to collect the milk solids. Store in a clean jar and scoop out as desired for a nourishing fat that is resistant to high-heat.
Melt ghee in a saucepan over low-medium heat.
Add grated carrots and saute in ghee for about 10 minutes and then add coconut milk.
Gently simmer the mixture on low-medium heat. Stir often to avoid burning.
After about 10-15 minutes, add the cardamom powder, lemon zest and juice. Mix well and then stir in the honey. Continue stirring until all of the milk has evaporated. Taste at this point and adjust to you liking with a pinch of salt, more lemon or honey etc.
You could either eat this as a pudding now or make it into yummy carrot fudge by simply spreading the sticky mixture onto a greased dish or individual silicone molds, garnish now with golden raisins and chopped pistachios if using, let it cool in the fridge. You could serve this as a dessert with a dollop of yoghurt :)